Photo Spot Summary
GPS Latitude: 43.766182
GPS Longitude: 11.258731
It is an easy walk from the Ponte Vecchio (Old Bridge). From there, just head east, it is the first bridge you'll see.
Photo Spot Details
I recently visited Florence. Being a one-day trip, I had to rely on luck to find good photography spots. I have crossed this bridge something like four times, but only on the third I realized that, with sunset, it would have become a good spot for shooting the Ponte Vecchio, with the sun sinking down in one of the arches. So I came back the fifth time half an hour before sunset and realized that my predictions were inaccurate: I only had flare and glare and no clouds to cover the sun nor a GND with me. Luckily, while I was waiting for a change (which did not come) of the light, I noticed an heron flying on the water.
Nevertheless, at dawn, the sun rises on the other side, lighting all the scene. This bridge is a good spot for cityscape photography and a minor one for bird photography, too.
Gear and Photography Tips
– Bring a stardard to telephoto zoom, a wide angle is not really necessary. If you want a wider image, it’s better to create a panorama.
– A tripod would not fit the sidewalk of the bridge. Consider a monopod to improve stability
– A 2-3 stops GND might is very helpful for sunsets
– The bridge tends to be very busy, so watch constantly your gear.
– The best time of the year is summer, while the best time of the day is dawn or a cloudy sunset.