I have been testing the new Nikon D610 that I received today for the past 5 hours, running all kinds of tests on it. And by now, I have over 10 thousand actuations on the camera. The goal of this particular test was to see if the updated Nikon D610 has any dust issues as the Nikon D600 it replaced. Armed with the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, I have been shooting the Nikon D610 at f/22 (minimum aperture) in my lab continuously. I am happy to report that Nikon seems to have addressed the dust issue, thanks to the new shutter mechanism that they are now using on the camera. Take a look at the below before and after shots (left: Before, right: After):
The “before” image on the left was taken when I first started the test procedure, while the “after” image was taken after about 8 thousand clicks (3x timelapses at around 2 thousand each). As you can see, I started out with a little bit of micro dust, which was very hard to see even at f/22. The only reason why it looks so obvious, is because I actually boosted the contrast values so high in Photoshop, that everything becomes clearly visible. And if you look at the “after” result, only very small particles moved around a little bit, which is quite normal considering how much air was moved while images were taken.
If you are wondering why there is some micro dust on the sensor originally, that’s because I actually wet-cleaned the sensor once with a swab before starting the procedure. My very first picture showed a moderately sized particle on the sensor, which probably got there during shipping or while I was mounting the lens, so I decided to clean it (was impossible to remove using a rocket blower). The particle was removed, but the swab left some micro dust on the sensor.
Nikon D610 Sample #2
I received a second sample of the Nikon D610 for testing. This time, the sensor was almost completely free of dust, so I did not have to clean anything. Used the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G lens set to f/22 in a slightly different lighting setup. When I boosted the contrast levels extremely high, the Nikon D610 revealed a couple of tiny dust specks (micro dust) that are practically invisible in the frame. This time I set up two timelapses to shoot for 1.5 hours total in 1 second intervals, yielding about 5,400 images. Here are the before and after images:
Looks good to me!