We have been working hard on building the lens database during the last few weeks, so I would like to apologize for not being able to provide updates, reviews and new articles on the site. We want to make the lens database as comprehensive and as useful as possible for our readers, which is why we have been putting a lot of our effort into it. Thanks to your valuable feedback from our announcement, we have made significant changes to the database and added a few great features:
- We added close to 100 new lenses to the database (Leica, Samyang, Kenko, Voigtlander, Zeiss)
- We now have a separate rating for infrared performance of many brand and third party lenses (Nikon, Canon, Sigma, Olympus, Panasonic, Tamron, Tokina and Zeiss). When looking at most of these lenses, you will now see a separate line that says “Infrared Rating”. For now, we only have three rating categories: Good, Mixed and Poor. We might expand on this in the future, if we start testing for IR performance of lenses. Big thanks to Bob Vishneski for this idea. Many of the lens ratings are based on Bob’s feedback and research.
- The main “Lens Database” page now has some filtering options. You can filter lenses by Brand, Mount, Lens Type, Format, Price, Title, Focal Length and Release Date. We do not have advanced search capabilities yet, but that will be coming soon.
- Lenses are now listed by focal length instead of title.
- We created a comprehensive “Lens Index” that shows a listing of all lenses in the database.
- Our lens reviews have not been fully integrated into the database yet, but a number of lenses have been changed with sample images and our rating. Once we complete this, we will enable the feature to sort by lens rating.
- We had some issues with data on a number of lenses. Thanks to your feedback, we were able to fix them all.
Now we are asking for your help! We really need to make sure that the lens data we are presenting is accurate and contains as much information as possible. It would be great if you could go through the lenses you own in our database and let us know if there are any issues/errors. This is a one time exercise, since we only need to fix issues once, but it will be extremely helpful for all future visitors of the site. While we have gone through many of the lenses and verified their data, we know we might have missed some. Also, if you think there is a better way to present data or provide additional data, please let us know and we will work on it!
Once we get everything cleaned up, we will continue adding lenses to the database. Our goal is to do this in two phases – the first one is nearly complete (once we add all the currently available lenses) and the second one will be to add old / discontinued lenses.