Today is a big release date for Adobe, because the company is rolling out a few major updates to its Adobe Creative Cloud platform, along with new apps for mobile devices designed for creative professionals and enthusiasts. One of the silent updates that got rolled and did not get much press is the final version of Lightroom 5.5 and Camera RAW 8.5. Adobe was so busy with its new products and updates, that it did not include any information on additional features included in Lightroom 5.5. It seems like the final release is similar to the 5.5 release candidate, where support for additional lenses and cameras were added, as shown below. The most notable bugfixes in this release are: properly reading lossless compressed files from older Nikon DSLRs and correct processing of Fuji X-T1 RAW files when using Dynamic Range 200% and 400% setting. And the most notable feature for Nikon D610 owners is that now there is finally tethering support, although Adobe never mentioned it on their website!
Camera and Lens Support
Here is the list of all newly supported camera models:
- Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II
- Fuji FinePix S1
- Nikon 1 J4
- Nikon 1 S2
- Nikon 1 V3
- Olympus OM-D E-M10
- Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GH4
- Pentax 645Z
- Samsung NX3000
- Sony DSC-RX100 III
- Sony A7S (ILCE-7S)
- Sony Alpha SLT-A77 II (ILCA-77M2)
- Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM A014 for Canon
- Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM C014 for Canon
- Tamron 16-300mm F3.5-6.3 DiII VC PZD MACRO B016E for Canon
- Fujifilm Tele Conversion Lens TCL-X100 for Fuji
- Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM for Nikon
- Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR for Nikon
- Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM A014 for Nikon
- Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM C014 for Nikon
- Tamron 16-300mm F3.5-6.3 DiII VC PZD MACRO B016N for Nikon
- Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD A011N for Nikon
- Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM A013 for Pentax
- Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM A014 for Sigma
- Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM C014 for Sigma
- Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM A013 for Sony Alpha
- Sony Alpha 28-75mm F2.8 SAM for Sony Alpha
Here is the detailed list of bug fixes::
- Improved responsiveness in Develop module while Lightroom mobile sync is occurring.
- Custom Develop module default settings were not syncing correctly to Lightroom mobile.
- Initial rendition in Develop would sometimes appear posterized.
- Undo function failed and applied a preset instead.
- Scaling looked inaccurate when scaling to 200% in Windows.
- Manual slideshows sometimes did not advance to the next slide as expected.
- Aspect ratio changed when modifying the crop rectangle and when rotating the crop
- Image flips between portrait and landscape after switching orientation while shooting tethered with Leica S cameras.
- Fixed issue with Fujifilm X-T1 raw images appearing too bright at high ISO settings when using Dynamic Range 200% and 400%. Unfortunately, this fix may affect the appearance of existing images captured with this combination of settings. It is recommended that you (1) purge the Camera Raw cache via the Camera Raw Preferences dialog, and (2) review images shot at ISO settings higher than 1600 for unexpected brightness changes.
- Fixed image quality issue (noisy result) when applying spot healing to floating-point (HDR) images.
- Fixed issue with reading lossless compressed Nikon raw files (NEF files) from the camera models listed below. Previously, some images could be read but would appear as random noise, whereas attempting to open others would result in an error dialog. You will need to purge your Camera Raw cache via the Camera Raw Preferences dialog.
- Nikon D1
- Nikon D1H
- Nikon D1X
- Nikon D2H
- Nikon D2Hs
- Nikon D2X
- Nikon D2Xs
- Nikon D100
- Nikon D200
And here is a full list of new features:
- Modify Graduated and Radial Filter masks with a brush:
- After adding or selecting a Graduated or Radial Filter instance, click the new ‘Brush’ mode (next to existing ‘New’ and ‘Edit’ mode buttons) to reveal brush controls that allow you to modify the selected mask.
- Use the ‘Brush +’ and ‘Brush -’ icon buttons in the brush controls pane to add to or erase from the selected mask.
- Press the ‘Clear’ button to remove all brush modifications from the currently selected mask.
- When a Graduated or Radial Filter instance is selected, Shift-K can be used to enter and leave brush modification mode.
- For more information, check out this video here
- Mask visualization is now available for the Graduated and Radial Filters. Use the Mask checkbox at the bottom of the Local Corrections pane or press ‘Y’ to toggle the mask overlay.
- Added Per-Panel Preview default toggle button
- If the current panel’s settings are not the ACR defaults, clicking the new Per-panel Toggle Button will reset the panel to the ACR defaults.
- Clicking the button again will restore the previous settings.
- This is a standalone feature, separate from the new Preview controls.
- The changes are applied to the main view; if you have both the Before and After panes visible, changes will appear in the After panel.
How to Update
Click the following links to update to Lightroom 5.5:
And here are the links for Camera RAW 8.5: