Today Adobe announced the availability of Lightroom 5.2 and Camera RAW 8.2 release candidates. A number of bugs that were present in Lightroom 5 were fixed, and new camera and lens profiles have been added. In addition, some new features features have been added to Lightroom, including a smoothness adjustment slider, refinements to the spot healing tool and local adjustment brush. Preliminary RAW support for the recently announced Canon EOS 70D and Sony RX100 II is also provided. The Adobe team skipped Lightroom 5.1 version and jumped directly to 5.2, to keep up with the Camera RAW naming convention.
Camera and Lens Support
Here is the list of newly supported camera models:
- Canon EOS 70D *
- Casio Exilim EX-ZR800
- Fujifilm FinePix HS22EXR
- Fujifilm FinePix HS35EXR
- Fujifilm FinePix S205EXR
- Fujifilm FinePix F805EXR
- Fujifilm X-M1
- Phase One IQ260 *
- Sony DSC-RX1R
- Sony DSC-RX100 II*
* Denotes preliminary support
- Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS
- Hasselblad LF16mm f/2.8
- Hasselblad LF18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS
- Hasselblad LF18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS
- GoPro Hero3 Black
- GoPro Hero3 Silver
- GoPro Hero3 White
The following new Features have been added in Lightroom 5.2 RC:
- A Smoothness adjustment slider has been added to the Detail Panel under Color Noise Reduction. This helps to reduce low-frequency color mottling artifacts
- Refinements to the Spot Healing Tool:
- New Feather control
- Auto find source method now works better for images with textured areas like rocks, bark, and foliage
- Auto find source method now prefers source areas within the crop rectangle
- Smart Preview size has been updated to 2560 pixels on the long edge
- Refinements to the Local Adjustment Brush:
- Right Click (PC) / Control-click (Mac) on a brush adjustment pin to bring up a context menu to duplicate or delete
- Control+Alt+Drag (PC) / Command+Option+Drag (Mac) on a brush adjustment pin to clone (duplicate) that adjustment
Some of the big bugs in Lightroom 5 have been addressed. Most notably, the export bug that prevented sharpening and noise reduction to be applied to smaller images has been finally addressed. Here is the full list of bug fixes:
- Catalog containing images processed with PV2003 were adding a post-crop vignette when catalog upgraded to Lightroom 5.
- Pressing the “Reset” button while holding down the Shift key caused Lightroom to exit abruptly.
- Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction were not applied to exported images that were resized to less than 1/3 of the original image size.
- Incorrect photo was selected when trying to select a photo in segmented grid in Publish Services.
- The Esc key did not exit the slideshow after right clicking screen with mouse during slideshow playing.
- Import dialog remained blank for folders that contain PNG files with XMP sidecars.
- Metadata panel displayed incorrect information after modifying published photo. Please note that this only occurred when metadata was changed after the photo was published.
How to Update
Click the following links to update Lightroom 5.0 to version 5.2 RC:
Here are the links for Adobe Camera RAW 8.2 RC:
For more information, please visit Adobe Labs.