This is an in-depth review of the Nikon D5100 DSLR, based on my two month experience with the camera. Marketed as an upper-entry-level DSLR, the Nikon D5100 is a major upgrade to the older Nikon D5000. It has a larger and a more enhanced swivel LCD screen and the same remarkable sensor as the semi-professional Nikon D7000. In addition to the above changes, the Nikon D5100 also lost some weight, making it lighter and more compact than the Nikon D5000. In this review, I will provide a detailed analysis of the Nikon D5100 and compare it against the Nikon D3100, D5000, D90 and the current Nikon D7000 DSLRs.
The Nikon D5100 was kindly provided by B&H – the largest photo reseller in the world that I personally use to buy my photography gear.
1) Nikon D5100 Specifications
- High Resolution 16.2 MP DX-format CMOS sensor
- 4 frames per second continuous shooting for up to 100 JPEG images
- 420-pixel RGB sensor
- Pentamirror Optical Viewfinder with approx. 95% frame coverage and approx. 0.78x magnification
- Single SD Card Slot with SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card compatibility
- Built-in Speedlight flash with i-TTL support and up to 1/200 sync speed
- Full 1080p HD Movie capability and external stereo microphone jack (up to 20 minutes of recording time)
- Dynamic ISO range from 100 to 6400 expandable to 25,600 (Hi2)
- 11-point AF System with one center cross-type sensor
- 3 Inch, 921,000-dot Super-Density articulated LCD Monitor with 170 degree viewing
- Compact EN-EL14 Battery (660+ shots)
- Built-in HDMI Connection
- Active D-Lighting for enhancing details in shadows and highlights
- 16 different scene modes
- Special effects such as Selective Color, Miniature Effect, Night Vision and Silhouette can be used both for stills and video
- In-camera HDR processing with 2 shots, up to 3 EV apart
- Up to 1/4000 sec shutter speed
- Exposure Compensation ±5 EV in increments of 1/3 or 1/2 EV
- Exposure Bracketing 3 frames ±2 EV in 1/3 or 1/2 steps
- Only 560 grams of weight (body only)
Detailed technical specifications for the Nikon D5100 are available on Nikonusa.com.