About a year ago, I reviewed an Impact background (Impact reversible muslin background). Out of curiosity, I decided to grab another one. This time instead of one that was reversible, I chose the Impact Crushed Muslin Background in Grey Mist. What’s the difference you might ask? Let’s just see…
1) Product Specifications
- Suitable for Video / Still Photography
- 100% High-Quality Cotton Material
- Helps Absorb Light/Minimizes Reflections
- Seamless / One-Piece Fabric
- Five Eyelets on Top for Hanging
- 4″ Rod Pocket
- Includes Carry Bag
- Machine Washable
- Size: 10’x12’ (3.0×3.7 m)
2) Packaging and Field Use
Honestly, this muslin is very similar to the Impact reversible muslin I’ve already reviewed. So that I don’t repeat myself, please read that review, but note the following differences:
- This muslin is not reversible.
- The “crushed” aspect is not much different from the reversible muslin, at least not as far as texture goes. The only real difference I noticed was that there was more color variation than in the reversible.
I started out my testing using natural light so that my subject and background had the same exposure. The following three images were taken with my 85mm at f/1.4, f/2.8 and f/4.0 respectively:
I also lit my subject, allowing me to underexpose the background. This image was taken at f/2.8:
If I’m going to compare the Impact Crushed Muslin to the Impact Reversible Muslin Background, there are really only two major differences that stand out to me. The crushed background has more color variation, which is a look that I prefer. On the other hand, having a reversible background can be very convenient if you want to get two different looks with minimal effort. If I could only grab one to use on a regular basis, I’d take the crushed muslin.
5) Pricing and Where to Buy
The Impact Crushed Muslin Background is priced at $69.95 (as of 6/20/2014) and is available at B&H Photo Video.