Nikon has just announced the Nikon 1 V2, an update to the existing Nikon 1 V1 mirrorless camera that was released last year. Unlike the disappointing J2 release earlier this year that had almost no improvements over the J1 that it replaced, the V2 seems to be a much bigger upgrade. First, the camera body went through a complete rework, with a different ergonomic design of a much more serious camera. The camera grip looks similar to those found on Sony NEX series mirrorless cameras and there is now a dedicated PASM Command Mode Dial on the top of the camera. A small built-in flash is now included in the body, with an additional hot shoe that allows mounting Nikon 1 speedlights, similar to the also newly announced SB-N7 speedlight.
Along with the new Nikon 1 V2, Nikon also announced the future development of Nikon 1 10-100mm f/4-5.6, 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 and 32mm f/1.2 lenses.
Nikon 1 V2 Specifications
- Lens Mount: Nikon 1 mount
- Picture Angle: Approx. 2.7x lens focal length (Nikon CX format)
- Effective Pixels: 14.2 million
- Sensor Size: 13.2mm x 8.8mm
- Image Sensor Format: CX
- Image Sensor Type: CMOS
- Total Pixels: 15.13 million
- Dust-reduction system: Image sensor cleaning
- Image Resolution: 4,608 x 3,072
- Supported File Formats: Compressed 12-bit NEF (RAW), JPEG, NEF (RAW) + JPEG
- Picture Control: Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, Landscape, Selected Picture Control can be modified, User-customizable Settings
- Storage Media: SD, SDHC, SDXC
- Card Slot: 1 Secure Digital (SD)
- Viewfinder: EVF (electronic viewfinder), 0.47-in., approx. 1440k-dot color TFT LCD viewfinder with diopter control and brightness adjustment
- Viewfinder Frame Coverage: 100% Approx.
- Viewfinder Diopter Adjustment: -3 to +2 m¯¹
- Fastest Shutter Speed: Electronic Shutter: 1/16,000 sec., Mechanical Shutter: 1/4,000 sec.
- Slowest Shutter Speed 30 sec. with either Electronic or Mechanical Shutter
- Flash Sync Speed Electronic shutter: 1/60 sec., Mechanical shutter: 1/250 sec.
- Bulb Shutter Setting: Yes
- Shutter Release Modes: Single-frame
mode, Continuous, Mechanical, Electronic, Electronic [Hi], Self-timer mode, Delayed remote, Quick Response Remote, Interval Timer Shooting
- Frame Advance Rate: Electronic [Hi]: Approx. 5, 15, 30, or 60 fps, Other modes: Up to 5 fps (single AF or manual focus, S Shutter- priority auto or M Manual exposure mode, shutter speed 1/250 sec or faster, and other settings at default values)
- Top Continuous Shooting Speed at full resolution: 5 frames per second 10, 15, 30 or 60 fps using Electronic (Hi) shutter
- Self-timer: 2, 10 sec. Timer duration electronically controlled
- Metering Method: Matrix, Center-weighted: Meters 4.5mm circle in center of frame, Spot: Meters 2mm circle centered on select focus area
- Exposure Modes: Programmed Auto with flexible Program (P), Shutter-Priority Auto (S), Aperture-Priority Auto (A), Manual (M), Scene Auto Selector
- Scene Modes: Portrait, Landscape, Night Landscape, Night Portrait, Close-up, Auto
- Shooting Modes: Still Image (3:2), Smart Photo Selector (3:2), Movie (HD 16:9), Movie Slow Motion (8:3), Motion Snapshot (16:9)
- Exposure Compensation: ±3 EV in increments of 1/3EV
- ISO Sensitivity: 160-6400
- Autofocus System: Hybrid autofocus (phase detection/contrast-detect AF), AF-assist illuminator
- AF-area mode: Single-point AF: 135 focus areas, Auto-area AF: 41 focus areas, Subject tracking, Face-priority AF
- Focus Modes: Auto (AF), Auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A), Single-servo AF (AF-S), Continuous-servo (AF-C), Full-time Servo (AF-F), Manual Focus (MF)
- Built-in Flash: Yes
- Accessory Shoe: Yes
- Movie File Format: MOV
- Movie Video Compression: H.264/MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding
- Movie Audio recording format: AAC
- Movie Audio recording device: Built-in stereo microphone; sensitivity adjustable, Optional external ME-1 stereo microphone (with the AS-N1000 Multi Accessory Port Adapter)
- Movie HD: 1920 X 1080/60i, HD: 1920 X 1080/30p, HD: 1280 x 720/60p, Slow-motion: 640×240/400fps, Slow-motion: 320×120/1200fps, Motion Snapshot: 1920×1080/60p (plays at 24p)
- Monitor Size: 3.0 in. diagonal
- Monitor Resolution: 921,000 Dots
- Monitor Type: TFT-LCD with brightness adjustment
- Battery: EN-EL21 Lithium-ion Battery
- Battery Life (shots per charge): 300 shots (CIPA)
- AC Adapter: EH-5b AC Adapter, Requires EP-5D Power Supply Connector
- Approx. Dimensions: Width 4.2 in. (107.8mm), Height 3.2 in. (81.6mm), Depth 1.8 in. (45.9mm)
- Approx. Weight: 9.8oz. (278g) camera body only
- Supplied Accessories: EN-EL21 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, MH-28 Battery Charger, UC-E19 USB Cable, BS-N3000 Multi Accessory Port Cover, BF-N1000 Body Cap, AN-N1000 Strap, ViewNX 2
Short Movie Creator CD, User’s Manual, Reference manual CD
Official Press Release
Here is the official Nikon press release for the Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera:
Striking the Balance of Portability, Performance and Shooting Preference, the New Nikon 1 V2 Provides Users with New Ways to be Creative and Expressive
MELVILLE, N.Y. – Today, Nikon Inc. announced the new 14.2-megapixel Nikon 1 V2, the latest addition to the revolutionary Nikon 1 Advanced Camera with Interchangeable Lens System. Designed for the creative consumer who seeks stunning images and HD video, the V2 incorporates a myriad of new features aimed at improving the shooting experience, including a new ergonomic grip for familiar handling, a built-in flash and the addition of a Command Mode Dial to provide easy access to features and controls. Nikon also introduced the new SB-N7, an optional compact speedlight that offers versatile lighting possibilities for Nikon 1 V1 and Nikon 1 V2 shooters.
The new Nikon 1 V2 is designed to be compact and delivers astoundingly rapid Autofocus (AF) and shooting response, incredible image quality, sharp Full HD video and advanced yet easy-to-use shooting options. The V2 offers a new 14.2-megapixel CX-format super high-speed CMOS sensor that has been engineered to allow for amazing image quality that exhibits eye-catching colors, rich hues and striking detail. The upgraded sensor combined with the blazing fast Advance Hybrid AF system allows users to shoot up to 15 frames-per-second (fps) while maintaining full AF tracking that allows the capturing of fast moving subjects. Other new and noteworthy features include versatile and fun shooting modes such as Best Moment Capture Mode and the new Live Image Control that lets a user preview their creative vision, pre-capture.
“The recent additions to the Nikon 1 System, including the new V2, demonstrate Nikon’s dedication to delivering a camera system that meets the needs of creative and expressive consumers looking for an easy-to-use camera that is portable enough to take on any life adventure,” said Bo Kajiwara, Vice President of Marketing, Planning and Customer Experience. “With a grip and control layout that is familiar to photographers, the V2’s incredible speed, versatility, ease of use and portability can be used in various situations to shoot amazing images and sharp HD video.”
Enhanced Design Lets Creative Freedom Flow
The new V2 sports an enhanced design that includes a comfortable traditional grip as well as a textured camera body and thoughtfully placed mode dials. With easy access to the new top-placed Command Dial, V2 shooters will be able to make camera adjustments quickly and easily, even when framing photos in the camera’s 1.4-million-dot electronic viewfinder. The camera also includes a new Direct Setting Control that enables quick access to settings in manual exposure modes (P,S,A,M), so that settings can be changed without taking an eye off the electronic viewfinder or the high-resolution 921,000-dot 3.0-in LCD display. To get creative in challenging light, a built-in pop-up flash supplies extra lighting when capturing images in low-light situations or to provide a fill flash to eliminate shadows. The camera also features a Nikon 1 i-TTL hot shoe port, affording the use of optional lighting and camera accessories with the Nikon 1 V2.
Though compact and portable, the new Nikon 1 V2 boasts incredible performance and features that will be easily embraced by all levels of photographers. In addition to the 14.2-megapixel CX-format CMOS sensor, the camera also includes the new EXPEED 3A image processing engine, both specifically designed to produce still images and HD video with stunning clarity and color. Additionally, the new EXPEED 3A has improved image-signal processing capability as well as high-speed readout.
A wide ISO range (160-6400) allows the V2 to perform brilliantly in tough lighting conditions, while the highly responsive Advanced Hybrid Autofocus (AF) system provides users with superfast shooting speeds, allowing them to capture fast action with crisp focus, whether at a football game or dance recital. The Nikon 1 V2’s 73 point AF array ensures accuracy and super precise focus, even on moving subjects. The camera also provides high-speed continuous shooting with continuous Auto focusing letting users capture approximately 15 fps up to 45 frames. High-speed continuous shooting at approximately 60 fps for up to 40 frames is also possible.
Get Creative with Advanced Features
The new Nikon 1 V2 offers various shooting modes and controls that will help photographers flex their creative muscle while providing new ways to be expressive in still images and HD videos. With the new top-placed Mode Dial, V2 users will be able to access the camera’s Auto Mode as well as full manual controls on the fly. The camera is also equipped with an Enhanced Motion Snapshot Mode, which users can utilize to capture fleeting moments with a short, slow-motion movie sequence in addition to a single defining still image. A Motion Snapshot can be saved as a four second MOV file and JPEG image file separately or it can also be saved as a 10 second movie file without a separate JPEG image file, making it easy to share with others. Furthermore, Motion Snapshots can be combined into a continuous slideshow seamlessly within the camera.
The Nikon 1 V2 also includes Best Moment Capture Mode, an advanced creative mode that allows individuals to use Slow View to slow down a moment they are capturing, in real time. By simply pressing the shutter button halfway down when focused, users can capture live action (approx. 1.33 seconds), while the view of the subject is displayed at five times slower than normal speed (approx. 6.66 sec). The action is replayed repeatedly as long as the shutter-release button is half-pressed. Fast action sports and events are transformed to slow motion right on the LCD screen, letting the user capture once-in-a-lifetime moments with confidence.
Additionally, original Nikon 1 features like Smart Photo Selector are still available on this new camera, and are accessible through the Best Moment Capture Mode. When using Smart Photo Selector, V2 users can capture up to 20 shots with a single press of the shutter button, and the camera will then automatically select the five best images to keep based on factors such as exposure, focus and facial recognition. The Nikon 1 V2 also includes an Advance Movie Mode that allows for the simultaneous shooting of 1080p Full HD video and high-resolution stills of the same subject or scene. Slow motion movies at both 400 fps and 1200 fps can also be captured, plus full manual exposure controls are accessible while in Advance Movie Mode.
Image effects and image-creation functions such as in-camera HDR and the innovative Live Image Control allow users even more ways to customize their photos. Live Image Control gives users the ability to see end-result images before capture by incorporating effects of various camera settings on a scene. With Live Image Control, real time adjustments to motion control, brightness control, Active D-Lighting and background focus are seen on the LCD screen or the electronic viewfinder prior to capture to help ensure the user’s creative vision is fulfilled.
Expanding the Reach of the Nikon 1 V2: Accessories for the Nikon 1 System
The V2 is compatible with the optional WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter1. When connected to the WU-1b, the camera can shoot high quality images and movies and transfer them to smart devices, making it easy to stay connected and share content wirelessly to social networks. Users of the free Wireless Mobile Adapter Utility application for Android™2 platform smart devices as well as iPhone® and iPad®3 mobile digital devices will also have the ability to remotely control the camera from a smartphone or tablet.
Like the other Nikon 1 system cameras, V2 shooters will have access to a growing lineup of incredible 1 NIKKOR lenses, Nikon 1 accessories, as well as F-Mount NIKKOR lenses when connected to the FT-1 Mount Adapter. These lenses and accessories will allow individuals to build a system that truly complements their creative lifestyle.
Alongside the Nikon 1 V2, the new optional SB-N7 speedlight will inspire shooters to take their creative vision to new heights with an extremely versatile yet compact and lightweight flash unit. When connected to the Nikon 1 accessory port of the V2, the SB-N7 will provide opportunities to explore lighting options including i-TTL support. Additionally, the flash head tilts up to 120 degrees for situations that call for bouncing the flash output. The new speedlight is easy-to-use and travel friendly, and also uses common AAA batteries. The speedlight provides a guide number of 18 meters/59 feet (at ISO 100), as well as a supplied external wide flash adapter for wider shooting coverage.
Price and Availability
The Nikon 1 V2 camera with the 10-30mm lens will be available in late November 2012 for the suggested retail price (SRP) of $899.95*. The SB-N7 speedlight will be available in January 2013 and will have a suggested retail price (SRP) of $159.95*. For more information on the V2 and SB-N7 or other Nikon 1 series products, please visit www.nikonusa.com.
A separate article comparing the Nikon 1 V1 and V2 will be posted shortly.