Previously, Fujifilm lens line-up wasn’t exactly very extensive, with a small number of well thought-out, high quality lenses. With the two latest additions, Fujifilm seeks to not only make the camera system more attractive, but also suitable for most needs. Along with the new Fuji X-M1 mirrorless camera, Fujifilm has also announced two new X-mount lenses – the Fujinon XF 27mm f/2.8 and the Fujinon 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS.
Overview and Press Release
Not so long ago, with the launch of the original X-Pro1, Fujifilm X lens line only consisted of three prime lenses. Though great performers, the 60mm f/2.4 macro, 35mm f/1.4 normal and 18mm f/2 wide-angle primes didn’t exactly make the system complete for most people. Ever since, though, Fujifilm has been working on new optics relentlessly. We saw three more lens announcements afterwards with two zoom lenses to add to the superb prime lens line-up. And today, with the launch of the 27mm f/2.8 and 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS, Fujifilm X system now offers 8 distinctive lenses for various needs.
The 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS lens comes kitted to the new X-M1 mirrorless camera or can be bought separately. When bought along the X-M1, it will cost a mere $100. It’s built to be a small, lightweight and as a cheaper alternative to the well-received 18-55mm f/2.8-4 lens that came with the X-E1. It has a rather narrower aperture and is wider at both ends, but also packs Fuji’s OIS image stabilization. Coupled with the X-M1, this combination of camera body and lens will make for the most compact X-series zoom choice.
The 27mm f/2.8 lens puts versatile focal length and compact dimensions as top priority. Along with the 18mm f/2 lens, this is the smallest Fujinon for X mirrorless cameras and falls into the “pancake” category. At $450, it’s not a cheap offering, but still rather reasonable in our opinion. When mounted on the new X-M1, it makes for the most compact X series mirrorless camera and lens combination, although the 18mm f/2 isn’t far off at a slightly larger size. A first for X series lenses, the 27mm pancake comes in either silver of black color. As one of our readers kindly pointed out, both lenses lack the traditional aperture rings found on the rest of their lenses (even the 18-55mm and 55-200mm zoom).
Here is the official press release:
FUJIFILM LAUNCHES THE HIGH PERFORMANCE XF27MM F2.8 COMPACT LENS
New XF27mm lens features a small footprint and outstanding image quality
Valhalla, N.Y., June 24, 2013 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation today announced the high performance FUJINON XF27mm (41mm*1) F2.8 lens, a compact and lightweight single focal length lens for use with the X-Series Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera Systems that include the award-winning FUJIFILM X-Pro1, FUJIFILM X-E1 and the all new X-M1. The XF27mm F2.8 gives photographers excellent craftsmanship and remarkable image quality that is ideal for landscape, street and portrait photography.
“With today’s announcement of the high performance XF27mm, photographers now have a new lens choice and a perfect complement to the compact X-Series that will allow them to capture stunning, high quality images in a wonderfully slim design,” said Go Miyazaki, president and chief operating officer, FUJIFILM North America Corporation.
FUJINON XF27mm F2.8
The all new FUJINON XF27mm lens gives users a fast F2.8 lens with a fixed focal length that is similar to that of the human eye, providing accurate and natural results based on the photographer’s view.
The FUJINON XF27mm F2.8 lens features:
• A slim footprint measuring 23mm in length and weighing only 2.75oz that encourages easy, everyday photography
• Autofocus design that uses a high-torque DC motor to shift each of the 7 lens elements in 5 groups (including 1 aspherical element)
• A seven blade round diaphragm for distinctive bokeh for photography complemented by a shallow depth of field
• Advanced optical design that allows the maximum amount of light to enter into the sensor for sharp and clear images, and a Super EBC coating for effective control against chromatic aberrations
• High quality, metal construction focus ring
In order to optimize the FUJINON XF27mm F2.8 lens, Fujifilm designed the lens without an aperture ring to deliver a compact and lightweight body. Users should update their camera body’s firmware to enable aperture adjustment with the camera’s command dial.
Firmware can be found at http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/.
The FUJINON XF27mm F2.8 lens will be available in July 2013 for $449.95.
FUJINON XC16-50mm (24-76mm) F3.5-5.6 OIS
• 24-76mm equivalent F3.5-5.6 lens
• Fully compatible with FUJIFILM X-Mount
• 12 all glass elements in 10 groups including 3 aspherical elements and 1 ED element
• Seven round-edged aperture blades, which offer 17 stops in 1/3 EV steps
The current Fujifilm lens family includes the following FUJINON XF and XC lenses:
• XF 14mm F2.8
• XF 18mm F2.0
• XF 27mm F2.8
• XF 35mm F1.4
• XF 60mm F2.4
• XF 18-55mm F2.8-4.0 OIS
• XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 OIS
• XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
- You can get the new Fujinon R 27mm f/2.8 lens (black) for $449.95 at B&H by clicking here. Also, you now have the option of purchasing it in silver by clicking here.
- The new 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS lens is likely going to sell best when kitted to Fujifilm X-M1 camera. In that case, it may well be a bargain at just $100. Follow this link if you want to purchase it separately